Sinopia News Top

Ethiopia Gears Up to Expand Power Export: Tanzania Next, South Africa in Sight


Ethiopia's ambitions to become a major electricity exporter in Africa are gaining momentum. The Ethiopian Electric Power (EEP) announced plans to expand its reach, with Tanzania becoming the next recipient and South Africa targeted within the next five years.

According to Moges Mekonnen, EEP's Corporate Communications Director, this expansion is fueled by Ethiopia's growing domestic energy production. The near-completion (95%) of the Abbay Dam, coupled with other ongoing power projects, will significantly bolster the nation's ability to not only meet its own needs but also supply electricity to its neighbors.

Currently, 90% of the electricity generated in Ethiopia is consumed domestically. The remaining 10% finds its way to neighboring countries. Moges emphasized the success story of Ethiopia's initial foray into power exports. Revenue surpassed the USD 100 million mark after Kenya joined the list of recipient countries, building upon the pre-existing earnings of USD 95 million. The current agreement with Kenya involves exporting around 65 megawatts during peak hours and 200 megawatts during off-peak times, with the potential to increase the volume to 400 megawatts over the next three years.

Ethiopia has been exporting electricity to Sudan and Djibouti for a decade. Other neighboring countries such as South Sudan are also requesting to import power from Ethiopia. The country started exporting power to Kenya in November 2022.

Source: The Ethiopian Herald

Additional source: 2Merkato Archives