The Center for African Leadership Development (CALD) is a center founded in Ethiopia, by Ethiopians who have served national, international organizations and institutions in different parts of the world, in various leadership development and capacity building initiatives. Drawing from various researched and recognized approaches and frameworks, it currently provides Leadership Development programs, coaching services and taylor-made professional development programs.
CALD is a firm committed to integrity, excellence and a groundbreaking uplift of human potential.
CALD, through its vibrant mix of high caliber staff and associates, offers a buffet of over 24 training topics, including:
- Leadership development (basic to advanced level)
- Effective communication skills
- Emotional intelligence
- Team building and team leadership
- Creativity and problem solving
- Project management and many more.
Through our consultancy services, we provide solutions for:
- Leadership development (LD),
- Organizational development (OD) and
- Human resources (HR) solutions.
CALD undergirds every training and consultancy effort with well-founded in-house research capability. We also conduct self-initiated and partnership-based research projects in the area of human capital and organizational development. Moreover, we carry out related research undertakings per demand.
At CALD, we have produced several publications in the areas of leadership and management, both hard copies and e-publications.
In addition to its newsletters, CALD has produced two special editions of a leadership magazine titled “Aha!”, and has published an Amharic book containing collection of leadership stories and tales, under the title “የአመራር ተረክ” , the second volume of which shall be published soon.
Approaches to content delivery will follow the principles of adult learning and will have the following features:
- Process oriented
- Trainee centered and regarding
- Participatory and interactive
- Linkages and interconnectivity between theory and practice
- Usage and application of real life situations (experiential)
- Sensitive to different learning and appreciation speeds
I-LEAD is an intensive three-month leadership development program. It brings together personal development, leadership development and change leadership.
Comprised of trainings, book reviews, field visits, assessments and a BREAKTHROUGH project, it sets out to bring a groundbreaking change in both organizational and personal endeavors.
Testimonials of former I-LEAD participants
- “Divine arrangement of EXCELLENCE in LIFE and CAREER”. Alexander Berhe, E-banking Director, Wegagen Bank
- “ENLIGHTENING and ENRICHING to the depth of the soul”. Zelalem Eteffa, Deputy Director, Sele Enat Mahiber
Sample Consultancy and Training Experience
CALD has been working closely with quite a number of various organizations in Ethiopia. Our clients’ base covers considerable areas of operations in all types of activities. Recently CALD’s client database includes:
- CALD is currently conducting, in its own premise, the sixth round of a comprehensive Leadership Development Program called I-LEAD. It will last for three months and it is closing to its end. I-LEAD is well design to enable higher level personal and organizational leadership competencies. It involves around eighteen senior level managers from various types of organizations. There are around seven well educated and highly experienced professional consultants associating with the program in different capacities.
- CALD is concluding Leadership, Management and Personal Development training programs for Zemen Bank's senior leadership, middle level managers, and junior staff members. The programs were designed based on CALD's I-LEAD format with some customization to meet the specific needs of the Bank and each group of participants.
- CALD competed and was selected to provide soft skills training to factory operators at the Hawassa Industrial Park. The program was designed to provide garment industry workers with the soft skills the need to adapt to and thrive within a different set of industry culture. The program is still ongoing and so far CALD has trained over 500 operators from August 01 - September 30, 2017.
- CALD is a constant training partner to Berhan International Bank S.C. Currently, we are providing a training entitled Integrity with Excellence; the training is being delivered for all staff members at different levels. We had also provided Customer Service training for BrIB's CSOs. To address the strategic needs of the senior level managers, we delivered Strategic Management, Change Management and more.
- Multiple rounds of leadership development training program is going on for the Cooperative Bank of Oromia. The program trains hundreds of CBO’s senior level managers spanning from the head office to all its branches across the country. We have successfully conducted more than six rounds of trainings already. The recent one was from April 6 – 7, 2015. CALD has also provided multiple rounds of trainings on Emotional Intelligence for senior and mid-level managers of CBO.
- The complete Leadership Development Program for the British Council – CSSP CALD collaborated with two other service providers to design and deliver a Leadership Development Program for Civil Society Organizations supported by the British Council/CSSP. CALD delivered the pilot of the program for 5 CSOs followed by a full-fledged 2 years program for leaders, staff and community of 23 CSOs at different level.
The program covers topics such as, Leadership and Management, Paradigm, Appreciative Inquiry, Innovation, Emotional Intelligence, Communication, Feedback, and Systems Thinking. The support process includes conducting assessments, designing training and support materials, delivering a series of trainings, providing coaching services, assisting in cascading of trainings within the organizations and community members they support, and strengthening organizational learning practices/systems.
Currently, CALD is conducting a transition program for 5 Civil Society Organizations' leaders, staff and community members.
- Excellence Through Quality Workmanship, ACME Engineering and Trading PLC., Senior engineers and technicians, September o4, 2017, at Airport Motel, Addis Ababa.
- Effective communication skills, and sales and marketing, training package for the management and staff of Davis and Shirtliff, on July 28 -29, 2017 and August 25 - 26, 2017, Liesak Resort, Debreziet
- A set of consecutive leadership development trainings have been provided for Boston Business Partners P.L.C especially for the top management / leadership team at Kuriftu Resort and Spa, Debrezeit.
- Multiple rounds of trainings on Emotional Intelligence and Customer Service for Kuriftu Resort and Spas' customer service managers and officers.
- An on-going ‘Facilitation and Training Skills’, Presentation and communication Skills and other courses for the open enrollment course participants of Center for African Leadership Development from the month of June 2012 to present at CALD’s training facility
- ACME Engineering and Trading PLC: CALD has designed and facilitated a training on teamwork and communication skills for all staff members of the PLC.
- We have successfully provided a two days training for CARE Ethiopia women staff members on Voluntarism and its management. It was ranked by participants and the management as one of the lesson full and inspiring training. It was held from March 9 – 10, 2015.
Clients We’ve Had So Far
We have so far worked with over 70 organizations. Here are a few:
- British Council – Civil Society Support Program – CSSP
- International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- SIHA East Africa Network
- Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
- PACT Ethiopia
- John Snow Incorporated (JSI)
- MEDA (Mennonite Enterprise Development Associates)
- Packard Foundation/IFHP
- CARE Ethiopia
- Berhan International Bank
- Anbessa International Bank
- Cooperative Bank of Oromiya
- Zemen Bank
- Boston Business Partners/ Kuriftu Resort and Spa
- Afro–European Engineers
- ACME Engineering and Trading PLC
- Markos P.L.C.
- Davis and Shirtliff
- Boston Business Partners P.L.C
- Hawassa Industrial Park
Testimonials of some of CALD’s long term clients
- “It’s so noticeable that CALD has exhibited greater responsibility and ownership in adding tangible values to our human capital development.” Berhan Bank
- “It is our conviction to recognize the amount of effort that CALD has been exerting and the diligence they have demonstrated to the growth of our staff.” Kuriftu Resort and Spa
Some of Our Training Associates
Ahadu Gebreamlak (LLB)
Mr. Ahadu, CALD’s managing director and country director of Cherokee Consulting (a US based company), has been working in the areas of personal and organizational development for over 15 years especially as a leadership development consultant, learning facilitator and trainer, and organizational development expert. He has also passed through rigorous courses and received competency certificates in leadership, management and several related fields.
Lemma Degefa (PhD)
Dr. Lemma has over 36 years of successful professional experience in the field of Management, Leadership, Country Strategy Plan and Development, Project Planning and Management, Coaching and Training. He has 24 years of International Employment abroad as the Lutheran World Federation Executive Officer in Zambia and Malawi, and Regional Program Coordinator for East and Central Africa based in Geneva, Switzerland. Dr. Lemma is currently serving as secretary general of Hope Enterprises.
Ededeya Assefa (MBA)
Mr. Ededeya, obtaining his MBA from Edinburgh Business School, Scotland, has amassed a wealth of hands on experience, which he gained through working with multinational companies such as Shell Oil Products Africa, BonusLink Malaysia, and Shell Oil Products Asia Pacific. In his training manager role while in Shell, Ededeya was responsible for competence and leadership development of over 100 shell staff through structured process of competence assessment, gap identification, program development, and execution of learning interventions. He has attended and facilitated a number of local, Pan-African and global Management and Leadership development courses. Ededeya is currently general manager of Enrich Agro Industry.